Wednesday, November 4, 2009

3 Months!

I sat in church on Sunday morning and realized that it was the first of November which means I have been here for 3 months! Unbelievable. In some ways I feel as if I have been here forever but in most ways it feels like I just flew in yesterday. Whether I like it or not, the fact is time is flying by. The semester is more than half over and the girls are beginning their countdown to Christmas break.

There are a few important events to note in the past few weeks. We had out second outbreak of lice and this time...they got me! I can know tell the girls that I understand their pain and annoyance at these little guys that just love our dorm. Thankfully there weren't as many girls with it this time. Unfortunately we found them the day of Herbst Messe, an annual fall party in Basel, Switzerland. This festival has been going on for 500 some years and it's a tradition for BFA to go one Thursday night at the end of October. Because of our little friends, however, 5 of us ended up quarantined and couldn't go. Instead, some of us went the next night after one chemical and two vinegar washes. This is a picture of the ferris wheel set up in the church square.


And this is Hannah and I on the bumper cars, another BFA tradition. This was our first experience on the bumper cars but I think we are both big fans of them.


And here is Hannah Jo and Ashley. They are old pros at the bumper cars.

After the bumper cars we did one more ride and then hit up Starbucks. This made me feel more like I was back in Chicago than in a foreign country. And to finish off the night we got some roasted chestnuts, a must if you ever end up in Basel for Herbst Messe. So, while we were a day late for the festivities we made the most of it and had a great time with just the four of us. Even though it's blurry, here is a picture of the four of us on the Rhine.

It was a beautiful night and the city was alive with activity, the atmosphere was incredible and I enjoyed just drinking in all the culture around me. One thing I know for sure, Europeans know how to throw a party.

Even with our little epidemic, things are still good here. I am learning to much about what it means to live in community. I'm seeing what it means to live sacrificially in order to love others better. This isn't a sacrifice that leaves me drained and useless but one that energizes me. When I see those that I live with growing and learning and thriving, I have all the more motivation to give what I have. Sometimes it's hard, and I get frustrated at times but I'm learning life lessons that I wouldn't trade for an "easier" job. I am continually amazed at God's goodness to faithfully bring me to a place feeds my soul and stretches me to trust Him more and more.

A few things to pray about...

- After going through a lot of paperwork and working with my mission I found that I'm still 8% short of what I need for two years. While this doesn't mean I have to come home now it does put a strain on my longer term finances. I'm only a little over $100 short a month of my goal which is incredible but I do need to reach 100%.

- Continued growth in my relationships here with my girls. Also the the opportunities to go deeper with them.

- Energy. November is a daunting month in the dorms. The staff is getting tired and the girls are stressed. Pray that we will find ways to break up the monotony and enjoy this season.

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement. It's so good to hear from you and know that you are praying for me! And as a parting picture, here is a picture of took on a walk the other day. The leaves are beginning to fall so we are enjoying our last bit of color for the year.


Peace.

1 comment: